Thursday, April 15, 2010

Open House

Today was one of those insanely busy days before the festival. All of my friends in town are equally busy getting ready at their various endeavors, which is why I was so especially touched that so many of them took the time to come by and visit the New Roxy while we were all lit up and almost ready for the festival. We had a campfire, broke in the Tiki Shed and practiced serving our 'Roxy Sliders'. I got such great positive feedback that people besides myself think the New Roxy is a pretty special place.

The spirit of community and working together to a common goal is very evident. The folks at Club 2000 offered up some great old bar stools that just need a little freshening up. I made a fabulous trade of my reclaimed recycling bin(made out of these mysterious plastic display racks that were dumped in the back alley.) for a classic old style vintage garbage can and ash tray both of which look fabulously at home in the New Roxy. The folks at the sound studio dropped off a table I can salvage along with providing me hot showers all week.

I spent an hour recording the stories of a family that grew up with owners of the New Roxy and they shared lots of memories and history of the neighborhood including that Ike Turner actually played on the New Roxy stage which I had not heard before.

Visitors started arriving today. Everyone in town get guests during festival and today my good friend 19th St Red and his friend Herve, visiting from France, drove up from New Orleans and Miss Jamie braved tumbleweeds and high winds all the way from Aspen.

I am exhausted and exhilarated at the same time

Tshirts are printed and I can't wait to go pick them up tomorrow morning after my meeting with the health department in hopes of getting a permit to cook in the tiki shed....

1 comment:

  1. I love that you are recording history related to the New Roxy. I hope that someday you can find a way to let us listen in!

    keep up the good (hard) work and happy sunflower!

    xoxo
    brittany

    ReplyDelete