Saturday, April 10, 2010

Weekend at Red's w/ Bilbo Walker and TModel Ford



This weekend found me hanging at Red's Juke Joint in Clarksdale. Red's is not like Ground Zero it's the real deal! Located at MLK Blvd. and Sunflower Ave, Red's place is "backed by the River, and fronted by the grave". It's not fancy but the music and atmosphere are as cool as it gets. Sometimes there's something on the grill, but otherwise there's no food just beer and set ups. It's basically like going to a gig in someone's garage where locals and nationwide musicians come to play, dance, and have a great time. Friday there were patrons from all corners of the globe including Toronto, New Zealand, Spain, Memphis, Nashville and Montana.

Friday Robert Bilbo Walker and his band put on a rocking show. Here's a video of Robert Bilbo Walker - CLICK HERE.
As always the decor was changed up a bit since my last time in town. My favorite new addition is a reclining, crushed red velvet chaise lounge. Red looked quite relaxed and a man in charge of his kingdom as he watched the room while stretched out.

Saturday night I stopped in to see legendary T-Model Ford who was playing backed up by his grandson Stud on drums. I noticed Stud looks more grown up since I saw his last and asked Red how old he was now. Red said he celebrated his 12th birthday a couple weeks back...I think Stud has been playing with his Grandfather since he was 7 or 8.
It was also great to see his Grandaughter sit in on drums too -'Little Momma' is ten and did a bang up job.

Red's is just one of the many reasons I just love this place!

Look for T-Model on Saturday night of Juke Joint at Club 2000 - I'll be there working the door until 10 pm.

1 comment:

  1. I just finished cruising through your blog, and visiting your website. I am so impressed! It's great to hear your musings and to be able to keep up a little better on what you're up to. Congrats on all of your achievements...your hardwork and passion are definitely showing through!
    Love, Your Cousin Carrie in Seattle

    ReplyDelete